It’s that time again – daylight savings is just around the corner!
So, the big question is do you move your clocks forward or back? Here’s an easy way to remember: Spring forward for spring, and fall back for Autumn. Hopefully that will save you from rocking up to work an hour early and to enjoy that hour sleep in!
Another important question is have you checked your smoke alarms? It’s a quick and easy process to ensure your home and family are protected. See our basic checklist below:
Smoke Alarm Checklist
- Do a quick clean with a cloth or vacuum cleaner – ensure they are free of any dust, cobwebs or other debris (this should be done monthly)
- Check the battery is still working – push the test button to sound the test alarm. If the alarm has been regularly beeping it is likely the battery is dying
- Check the expiry date – if it’s due to expire find your closest retailer and pick up some CAVIUS alarms
- Check that you have the correct placement for your alarms – CAVIUS recommends a smoke alarm in every bedroom, hallway and lounge as well as thermal heat alarms in places such as the kitchen, laundry, and garage. Also ensure that you place alarms a minimum of 50cm away from the wall.
- Check if your alarm is photoelectric – if not, it is time to upgrade. NZ Fire Emergency recommend installing a long-life photoelectric smoke alarm in every bedroom as a minimum
- Ensure everyone in the household has a fire escape plan so they know what to do in the case of a fire
- Consider Wireless Smoke and Heat Alarms – when one triggers, they all sound, meaning everyone knows if a fire is developing somewhere in the home. This is a particularly good option if your home is over two levels or spread out.
A huge amount of homes in NZ have smoke alarms which the batteries are dead, expired, not placed in the correct locations, or are missing completely. If you fall under one of these categories head along to your closest retailer today and pick up some CAVIUS alarms.
Got a question? Contact us today – we’re here to help!